About Me

My photo
We have recently applied and been successful in getting jobs at 'Amano Christian' School in Chingola, Zambia. Since getting married we have been praying about the possibility of working abroad and we now feel the timing and opportunity is right. So what will we be doing? Jona is going to be teaching science and Kerry is going to be doing youth work amongst girls in the dorms. We will be leaving in September. We would love for you to keep up to date with what we're up to!

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Hope

So I wanted to write this post with urgency as I'm fearing I'll forget and this passion I feel will fade away with the hum drum of everyday life. But this is something I want to hold on to, something I want to get under my skin and into my forever thinking.
Recently here at Amano we were informed that one of the laundry ladies houses had seen the effects of a fire which swept through the whole house leaving her with nothing. Now, many times we are asked for money by the workers and sometimes it's easy to question the authenticity of their requests.
But last night, I felt slapped in the face with the truth of what many people in this country live like. 3 of my friends working in the dorm decided to go and see for themselves what this lady was going through, to spend time praying with her and to show their love and care. Unfortunately we were unable to go. But last night they shared with me the sheer desperation of her situation. Her mud-brick house has been left with no roof, half burnt doors, no food, no beds except a meagre mattress. We wept together as they talked about the distance she has to travel to work here everyday...we thought she was exaggerating when she spoke of the 2 hours she travels each morning...but it is now clear it is no exaggeration!
Melanie had taken a few pictures of the house, not for crude observation but as a means to bring light to this ladies situation. I don't feel it is right to post them on to this blog. But I wanted to write, to relay my thoughts, to share my concern...this morning I wake from a late evening of prayer and questions... so many questions....What can we do? How much do we give? How, in this messed up world can we actually make a change? Is their hope for those who are hopeless? What do we 'want' and what do we 'need'? Are most of our perceived 'needs' actually 'wants?' What did Jesus mean when he called us to give 'everything' we have to the poor?  
To be honest, I'm sure these will be questions we grapple with, not just for today but for days to come. But somehow I feel more sure than ever that I want these questions to follow me, to prompt me, to catapult me out of my comfort zone. I want her face ingrained on my heart, I want love and compassion ingrained on my heart.
This morning as Jon and I talked more with heavy hearts over breakfast, we were reminded of a quote which was written up in the girls dorm last month.

“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.” John Wesley. 

And I think this is the crux of it. Wherever we find ourselves, whether it's Africa or England.... there is always need and there will always be need; whether it's for food, for love, for a listening ear, for a smile, for a friend.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not have a Google or Blogspotter account then please leave the comment as anoymous......
click publish
fill in the security words
Voila! a new comment appears :)